Sunday, September 4, 2011

136/365 -- Playlist Story -- inspired by "If There Is Something" by Roxy Music

A man, scruffy, tall and lean, clad in a gray sweatshirt and jeans from a decade ago, slurped on his Coca-Cola and stared hungrily at the teenage girl who worked the counter at the truck stop.

"What do you say?" he asked between suggestive straw sucks.

"Go away Gary," sighed the girl.

"You ain't  never gonna get another ride like this, baby," said Gary, thrusting his hips and scratching a dry, flaky patch of skin on his hand.

"No, I don't think I would. It isn't going to happen." She emphasized 'isn't' as she straightened the displayed of bagged chips.

"I got a bed in my cab. Nice and soft. It's just out there. We could duck out on your smoke break. Be done in ten minutes. You wouldn't miss any work."

"I don't smoke."

"Oh you do, cause you're smokin' hot girl." Gary slurped again, then licked his lips.

"The coke is on me if you leave now," she said. She opened the hatch on the counter and retreated behind the cash register.

"That's all right. I'll pay."

Gary fished around in his jeans to retrieve the seventy-eight cent cost of the drink. He slapped down several coins, and a large wad of lint, on the counter.

"Thanks," she said, hastily scooping up the money.

"You know I'd do anything for you. I'd treat you right. You wouldn't even have to work here any more. I got cable at home. You could watch TV all day when I'm out driving, and when I get back," he pursed his lips and squinted, "oh baby, I'd give you somethin' somethin', all night long, you know what I mean?"

"Yeah. I think I get the picture," she said flatly.

"Just you think about it darlin'," he said.

"Sure."

"Think about it...hard."

"Get out, Gary."

"I'm going now, I'm going."

Gary turned, and was suddenly illuminated by a bright light. Brakes screeched. The beams of light bounced as wheels jumped the curb. Glass shattered. The semi plowed through the rows of sundry goods and cheap overly-perserved packages of food. The grill struck Gary, cutting him in half over and under the counter, and into the girl, and into and through the wall behind. The semi finally came to a stop several feet and tons of obstructing brick later. Potatoes spilled out into the askewed aisles of the store, an avalanche of earthy brown, burying bodies, finally extinguishing all their desires.

No comments: